First of all Happy Anniversary to Ed and Jana. Today is their 10th anniversary.
It has been a busy couple of weeks. The most important event was Heather and Moe's wedding. Heather did a great job organizing the day and it all went off without a hitch. She looked beautiful (as always) and her family was dressed impeccably. The ceremony, which occurred in a light filled chapel at city hall, was a nice blend of emotion and humour. Then the reception was a short walk away at the Walper Terrace hotel. The room was beautiful with candles on the tables and handmade chocolates at each place setting. Andrew and I saved our chocolates and a couple days later when we ate them, we wished that we had gone around and pilfered any that were not spoken for. Overall it was a special day that set the tone for what I'm certain will be a long and happy marriage.
Since then I have been teaching 8 hour days, not at work for 8 hours, but actually in front of a class for 8 hours. This is exhausting. We started a new Grammar intensive class that is 4 hours of grammar instruction a day for 6 days. I'm currently in my second week of that and trying to make dangling modifiers and dependent clauses interesting for any longer than 30 minutes is a challenge. So as I am pushing myself to keep the troops (we call it boot camp for a reason)entertained, I have my ever present bottle of Coke nearby. A student yesterday decided to take it upon himself to inform me that Coke is not very good for you.
Really?
How come NOBODY ever told me this before?
I informed said child that I don't smoke, drink or do drugs and that little 590 ml of Coke was the only thing standing between him and my losing my temper when I have to tell him for the 20th time this week that the true conjunctions are FANBOYS...For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet and So! He should thank his lucky stars that not only do I keep a stash in the school but the bosses do as well to keep the Teacher Michelle teaching all damn day.
Why do they have to go there. I am so much better than I was. In my 20's I had a 2 liter a day habit and now I can go days without a single can. BUT when I'm working 6 days a week and teaching 8 hours or more each of those days, there is nothing that will take the edge off and give me a boost like it. On the wall of each of the classrooms there is a little list of rules and perhaps the last one should be "Leave Teacher Michelle's Coke addiction alone."
Okay I have been avoiding the 40 pages of Macroeconomics I have to read for a class this afternoon, so i will go and do that now.
M.
2 comments:
Four hours of grammar with one group of kids is cruel and unusual punishment. The kids are going to be crabby and disinterested in just about anything they are studying against their will, why spread the misery to the teaching staff?
Here's hoping my school doesn't hear about this grammar boot camp idea... I've already been chosen as the summer SAT grammar teacher; four back-to-back one hour grammar lessons is about all the joy I can take.
Wow... yeah,, Ive seen you at the height of your cola problem and thats nothing. Im surprised you dont have an iv bottle set up. And yet,if you had a giant cup from Starbucks at 6 bucks a pop beside you they wouldnt say squat.
Maybe you should get a couple of starbucks cups and put your coke IN them...lol
Post a Comment