Life has been quiet here. With the opening of the new school in Richmond Hill and January exams, my classes have dwindled. I actually have 2 days a week off these days, Tuesdays and Sundays (2 days in a row would be hoping for too much). But I'm not complaining about the slower pace because I know all too soon my schedule will be jammed again. Education is a recession resistant industry because when people are out of work, they tend to do retraining and parents put a greater emphasis on university and college.
Yesterday we had an interesting event at work. When I went into work I noticed that HeeSoo was wearing his wedding band (which has a diamond bigger than mine), he had never worn it before so I thought that it was strange. Then later there was a white guy in suit on the couch in the reception room. Then Hee Soo goes out and returns with his wife, whom I had never met. The 3 of them go into Hee Soo's office and shut the door for a while then leave for about 15 minutes and then come back. (See I told you I have nothing to do at work)
Hee Soo says to me, "We just got married."
"Where?" says I.
"Downstairs in the lobby" says he.
"Well, that's fancy, you romantic fool." I reply. Our lobby is a typical office building's, although the Christmas lights and garlands are still up.
Apparently it was easier to do a Canadian civil ceremony to get a marriage certificate than to try to get something from the Korean government. This seems entirely plausible to me.
HeeSoo's wife (I don't know her name -he just says, "this is my wife"... see Oct 9th post on Names)
Then the kicker came. Heesoo's wife is pregnant, pregnant enough to explain the chaos of this fall with last minute visits to Korea and a wedding the same week we were opening a new school.
I happily congratulated them and informed Hee Soo that he should take her out for dinner at the very least. So that mystery is solved. They both looked very happy and it also explains why HeeSoo has told his wife that he quit smoking while he still is sneaking downstairs at work for a smoke even in the -25 weather.
Not much else has been happening here. Andrew and I are almost through season 3 of Angel (2 more to go) and we still have 4 seasons of Newsradio to watch so we have no real need to leave the apartment aside from obtaining supplies and going to work.
We are having a cousins dinner at Amy's apartment on Saturday so maybe I'll have a story or 2 after that.
M.
No comments:
Post a Comment