It has been a busy month with changes. Andrew was laid off from his school due to low enrollment. We knew it was coming but had hoped to forstall it until the new year. Oh well we are ready for the next opportunity.
A couple of weeks ago we went with our friend Jen to the Korean Supermarket near Christie subway station. It was a weird sort of deja vu, reverse culture shock. All the products we used to buy in Korea were there but they had Korean and English labels! I could for the first time understand exactly what was in those dumplings....well perhaps it is just better to not know. Andrew couldn't find cuttlefish peanuts (again, you really don't want to know) but otherwise it was a well stocked store. We bought some things so I can make Korean food at home and as we are leaving Andrew points out the signage high up on the walls which Says "Barton Supermarket". How weird is that?
Last night we went to Ed and Jana's apartment to celebrate Jana's birthday. We had Suishi and Korean food delivered from the same place we had last year. It was delicious. Ed and Jana had a new kitten last year, Beer Bug and this year they have another one, a blue point Siamese named Earl Grey. So that brings the cat total back to 3 including Mojo. Beer Bug is shy and didn't show his face all night, but the new kitten is really friendly. He played with us most of the night except for a nap on my shoulder and a nap at Ed's feet. Mojo allowed me to brush her but is a little too rotund to play.
My job is wacky...again...as usual? I'm not sure if it is a different level of insanity or not. So they decided to open a new school in Richmond Hill, with classes starting on December 20. Yes folks that is 2 weeks away from today and do we have teachers? Noooo. Do we have materials with which I could perhaps train teachers? No....maybe soon. Do I have HeeSoo who is sufficiently scared of me to hop to and get things done? nope, he's in Korea getting married tomorrow.
So in 2 weeks they are going to start teaching SAT classes with new teachers who may or may not have any training. Teachers who have agreed to work the ridiculous schedule they came up with. We have an 8 day Winter camp Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Yes we are working the Saturday after Boxing Day. So in essence we have 2 days off at Christmas and 4 days off at New Years. How many qualified teachers do you think are out there who want to work Saturday for a 8 day job? Yep this is going to work out great. I think I have to start yelling at the drones today.
We are ready for Christmas, with 90% of our shopping done online. We will be in Goderich from Christmas Eve until Boxing Day evening. We had hoped to be in Goderich for 4 days but work has destroyed that plan. It will be longer than we had last year at least. Hopefully we can squeeze out some time to see everyone.
Okay I have to go and do some work.
M
1 comment:
Yeah, I got my materials Monday at 12:30 for my 1PM class. Fortunately, it's a complete retread of the summer packet.
I wonder how long ago they decided to open the new location, rented the space, etc, but they haven't thought about hiring teachers until the doors are being unlocked...
Post a Comment