Monday, December 03, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Andrew and I spent Sunday decorating our live tree, baking cookies and looking at the blizzard outside our window.
With college application deadlines looming, my life is getting more and more hectic. Hopefully things will slow down once the January 2nd deadline passes. Then I get to start with next years crew. Next year could be interesting because the majority of my Grade 11's seem to be less motivated that previous years'. I have one student who has figured out that if he just writes and introduction and 1 paragraph and a conclusion then he can get 50% on the essay and that's all he needs so he never bothers to do more and tells me so every week. I have a feeling his Mom might have something to say about that. I also have a student who this week tried to say that God exists because the universe exists and it must have been created by something because nothing can create itself. I think my comment "who created God?" will probably get me into trouble this week. I don't mind when they give me the fundamentalist Christian argument but it irritates me when they start telling me that there is a scientific conspiracy that has made up "the Theory of Evolution". Another bright soul had a solution for the Cuban's fleeing Cuba. Instead of trying to get to Florida on rafts, why don't they just swim to Jamaica and fly to the United States? It really doesn't register when I say that refugees have nothing..no money, no passports, nothing. Okay enough complaining, I have a delightful class today who are smart and funny and hard working and most of all appreciate it when I give them a break on doing all of the homework.

I hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well.
M

1 comment:

Jen said...

Be honest, Michele. When is the last time things really "slowed down" for you at work?

Personally, I would love essay classes, if I didn't have to get the students to improve. It's not wrong to enjoy laughing at students, is it?