Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sometimes my students are delightful...no seriously, I mean it.

I have a student, Soo Ho whom I have been working with preparing for the TOEFL. He is pretty shy but has a good sense of humor. Tuesday was our last class before Christmas and before he left he says. "I was going to get you a Christmas Card but I can't afford it so I will give you a card trick."
He produces a deck of cards and has me pick one. I put my card under my hand and he shows me 2 cards that are not my card and then says that he will switch my card (under my hand) for the card that he just showed me. After the magic word sure enough there is my card in his hand and the other card is under my hand. The he tells me that I have invisible ink in my hand and he uses the invisible ink and his finger to write on my card ...then puts my card back in the deck shuffles and out comes my card with "to Michelle" written on the back. So by then I'm pretty impressed and he says "Oh wait I forgot the Merry Christmas and he fans the deck across which is written "Merry Christmas". Okay I was extremely impressed. he was so smooth and polished that I couldn't tell where the switches were made. This is a 16 year old who can barely get a sentence out without stuttering but his Magic patter was flawless.
It was a great Christmas gift.

I'm finished buying and wrapping, and now I have to prep for next week's classes and pack for our around Southwestern Ontario Christmas Tour. We are in Goderich Sunday -Tuesday morning then driving to Niagara Falls for Dinner with Andrew's family and then back to Toronto because I work at 9am Boxing Day. Yipppeee!

M.

No comments: