Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Dress arrived

The wedding dress stored phoned yesterday to say that my dress had arrived. So I immediately phone Jana to see if she wanted to come with me to pick it up and then I rushed to the Danforth.
I tried the dress on and it needs a lot of altering. The bridal shop woman laid out fabric so the bottom of the dress didn't get dirty which was completely unnecessary as about 18 inches is being cut off the bottom of the dress. The woman didn't think either Jana nor I was excited enough...I'm not exactly sure how much screaming and tears would be required but I guess we weren't effusive enough. Then she says "Are you wearing a whale?" Jana and I looked perplexed at each other and both said "a what?"
"A whale..for your head, a whale" The woman with the thick eastern European accent said.
"Oh a veil!" we both reply.
No veil but we did pick shoes that need to be dyed to match my off white dress.
After many calculations and signing my name no less than 4 times, they handed me my dress. Now you might think that after spending many hundreds of dollars you would expect the dress would have a garment bag. Nope. An oversize white plastic bag that has the hanger poking through the top and a knot tied in the bottom. Along with it they "gave" me a coupon for $25.00 off gown preservation. In the brochure for the cleaning place it says..."Never store your gown in plastic as it will degrade the fabric."
The dress is safely stowed away in the back of the closet until we go to Goderich and take it to the seamstress. Now we just have to get Andrew's suit and the costume portion of the show will be complete.
M.

No comments: