Monday, August 09, 2010

Week Long Birthday Extravaganza

Hey, guess what? I am apparently 40. I have not quite figured out how that happened, and I'm certain that  last time I checked I was only 32. But take 2010 and subtract 1970 and there you have it...40. Yippee.

So we couldn't let such a milestone birthday pass unnoticed and I had no less than 3 parties. First last weekend we were in Goderich for the long weekend and Mom organized and semi-surprise party. The weather forcast for Saturday looked great so the plan was a pool party at Grandma's house. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and so the majority of the party was inside out of the drizzle, but the kids did make it into the pool. Lisa drove to Kitchener to pick up Heather and Riley ( Thank You) and Lori was visiting Ontario so we were all together for the first time in probably 20 years....Yikes more evidence that I may actually be 40. We had a great visit over dinner. My birthday was also celebrated by Aunt Dianne and Uncle Brad, Aunt Janet and Uncle Kenny (who are new residents of Goderich), Lox and Nancy, Michele, Scott (Lisa's Husband) , James, Justin, Daryll (Lori's husband), Riley, Karen and Alfred. So we had a full table.


Heather, Lisa, Lori and Michelle

Everyone was very kind and generous with gifts and Mom, Dad, Ed, Jana and Grandma bought me a bar height table and chairs for our balcony so now I can sit and see the Lake Ontario. Okay so it is a distant view..over the top of Maple Leaf Gardens...but I can see blue water.



The weather cooperated on Sunday and we got to spend some time at Grandma's pool. Everyone was anxiously awaiting the birth of Melanie's baby, who was overdue. Then Lori and Daryll brought their daughters Sarah and Katrina over for dinner. They were charming although Dad gave Sarah her first taste of orange soda, but she didn't ask for more so I guess she isn't ruined for life.

Friday August the 6th, 2010, dawned beautifully. The picture below was taken from my new chairlooking out to the lake.

That morning my lower level students surprised me with cake and doughnuts. But I think they were just buttering me up so I wouldn't make them work hard for the rest of the class as is evidenced by the assiduous studying in the pictures below. The upper level just tried to circumvent the rules of the vocabulary game and attempted to convince me that everyone should get a prize because it was my birthday. I informed them that I had been suitably bribed by the other class but they had done NOTHING.






After work I went home and sat on the balcony with a book and a drink and waited for Andrew to come home from class. Ed and Jana came over and we went out for dinner at ACKO which makes Korean and Japanese food. Then we went back to our house for cake and more presents. Ed and Jana were extremely generous and brought me a bag filled with goodies, including tea, candy, chocolate, and champagne. Also picured is Andrew's present which is a blown up and fixed picture of me and Grandma Rotteau.



I informed Melanie that I would be happy to share my birthday should her little one  like to make an appearance but it was in vain.

So all in all it was a good send off to my 30's. I woke up Saturday with a scratchy throat that evolved into a full blown head cold by the time I came home from work on Saturday and it seems to want to stay...so thus far being 40 sucks.

On a happier note, Jude Robert Woodall came into the world on Sunday August 8th at 1:44 am. Finally.
For a picture and an update see Melanie's Blog.

No comments: