The past 2 weeks I have been on a reading jag that centers around vampires. I don't know why...it just happened that way. I bought the boxed set of Sookie Stackhouse books after Christmas and got stuck on #3 Club Dead for a month, but have read 4,5,6 in the past 2 weeks. These are the books that the series True Blood is based on. In addition, I have been listening to a series that starts with Undead and Unwed about Betsy the Queen of the Vampires. I listened to all 8 books in the past 2 weeks as well. They are shortish novels of about 5 hours each, but still I got a lot of housework done while listening to the adventures of Queen Betsy. In both series I became confused as I moved from one book to another because the newer book would reference events that I could not remember happening in the previous book. I thought I must be losing my mind until I did some investigation. Apparently these authors like to produce short stories that are published in anthologies, and these stories contain the "missing" material. Thank Heavens I'm not losing my memory. There should be a note at the beginning of the book warning the reader to go find the short story or at the very least letting them know that they may have missed an event before continuing the story.
The delve into the mind candy may be in anticipation of 2 weeks of March break filled with 10 hour days of trying to get 16 year olds to understand the difference between a prepositional phrase and a dependent clause. March break starts Monday and do I have materials?...nope. Elite is SNAFU as usual.
2 comments:
I HATE when a continuation of a series happens in an anthology short story, especially since the quality of the writing in those stories is usually lower than in the full-length novels. IMHO.
Not surprised about the materials. I usually received mine the day of, or would get a few oddly distorted fax pages to get me through the first class.
I just picked up undead and unpopular on cd at the library! I may want to borrow your stackhouse collection sometime.
But, once again finding the main character (Betsy) to be supremely stupid and annoying. Why can't women be written with some intelligence?
Post a Comment