Andrew and I have been sitting on this news for a couple of weeks to make sure that our ducks were in a row and nothing was going to change, but I think we are safe now. Andrew has been accepted into a 1 year accelerated Paralegal course starting in September at Seneca and he started a teaching job last week that lasts until the day before his course starts. Andrew is teaching a standardized test that measures English Proficiency called the Cambridge Certificate. The catch is that it is British English with vocabulary and Grammar that is distinctly British. He comes home to check with me if sentences like the following are correct.
"I went to the bank but I need not have as I had 20 Pounds in my pocket."
Yes it is correct, just needlessly wordy and awkward.
He is better at the Vocabulary than I am though. Do you know what the following are in Britain
Sleepers
Shingles
Anti-clockwise
Bap
Candidature
Courgette
Gutties
Hob
Paracetamol
Petrol
Sellotape
These items in American English are
Railroad ties (the wooden boards that hold rails together)
The pebbles found between the above Railroad ties (how these word come up I have no idea)
Counter-clockwise
A dinner roll
Candidacy
Zucchini
Running Shoes
Stove Burner
Acetaminophen
Gasoline
Scotch Tape
I waited to blog about the job because the school commonly gets rid of teachers quickly if they feel their teaching isn't up to snuff. But Andrew's first review with his boss went really well. The students love him ...they think the material is boring but they think he delivers it well and they think he cares about their progress. So he is set for the rest of the summer. The school is 2 doors down from my school so we are trying to sync our schedules so we can walk home together some nights.
I finished my regular classes yesterday- in a 7 hours in a row teaching marathon that was unpleasant for students and teacher alike. Starting Monday, my summer boot camp schedule starts. I'm Teaching SAT in the morning and TOEFL in the afternoon. Now both of those classes have a lengthy tests on Mondays. This means that my schedule is empty on Mondays. I took note of this and held my breath all week that nobody would muck that up. Last night before I left I had the following conversation with Hee Soo
Me: "So you don't need to see me on Monday, Right?"
HS: "Well we always want you around."
Me:"No.no.no I didn't say Want..I said Need"
HS: "Well you never know what will happen"
Me:"Yes, yes If one of the other teachers gets hit by a bus you can call me in."
HS: "If I have a private class, what night do you want to do it?"
Me: "Andrew works until 6, so any day from 4-6 is fine because then we can go home together"
HS: "Ah that is good. Okay, yes I think I will see you on Tuesday"
It is 4:00 on Saturday afternoon...what can change right?
5:35 my phone at home rings with the Elite ringer (Good Day Sunshine).
Crap.
It's Chris-I bet they fought over who would have to phone me.
"I uh, sent a e-mail to you. I have a student who needs private tutoring so I set up a class for Monday at 11:30-1:30 and Thursday from 4-6.....Blah, Blah, Bah"
Me: "Great I'll see you Monday morning"
I knew it was too good to be true.
Oh well, I teach next Saturday (to make up for being closed on Canada Day this week) and then I have 7 whole Saturdays off this summer. We are going to Goderich (well a cottage outside of Goderich) on the weekend of July 11-12 to see Mom and Dad. But other than that I think our weekends are empty of plans so far.
I think that's all our news for now.
I hope everyone is enjoying the summery weather.
M
1 comment:
Yay! For everything except one stinking class on Mondays. Will the walls of the school fall down without you there holding them up?
Post a Comment