It has been a frustrating week (and I have 2 more day left in my week!) of idiocy and incompetence and I just need to get a few things off my mind.
Dear Student H
It is not alright for you to phone an hour before class to tell us that you won't be making it. At that time of day I am already at work preparing for your arrival. I would have been happy to stay at home for those 2 extra hours and lived my life rather than waiting around. This is not usually a big deal, but that fact that this is the 4th time in 6 weeks is a big deal. Either quit so I can slot in a student on the waiting list or show up. I really don't care anymore which.
Dear Student R
Please stop asking me which American Universities don't require the SAT. They are few and far between. More importantly, your English skills are so lacking that I doubt that you will pass the Ontario Literacy Test required for High school graduation. Perhaps if you arrived on time, did the homework, complete the quizzes and generally paid attention in class, it could change. But right now the SAT is the least of your worries, you have the TOEFL to complete as well.
Dear Parent K
I know that you are disappointed that your child only received a 9 on the essay. Contrary to your belief, he did not ALWAYS get 12s in my class. He would occasionally get a 12 because he would rewrite the same essay week after week after week and this results in improvement. In General your child writes a 10 essay. Now on the day of the test the essay question may have been one that was not amenable to the tired examples (which are neither historic nor literary as I have instructed) your child uses. I have no way to predict the essay topic as it changes every test. Perhaps your child's essay was marked after the Marker had waded through 400 atrocious pieces of writing and he or she was in a bad mood and so gave the essay a 4 instead of a 5. I don't know and because you won't bring in the essay for me to evaluate so I cannot guess at what happened. Further looking at our records, your child has gone from an average score of 1600 when he started classes to 2100 in 8 months. So his SAT score of 2070 is in line with his performance in class. I cannot see how this has been a waste of time and he hasn't learned anything. The average American native speak scores 1500- 1800 on the SAT and your child did considerably better. Are you so arrogant that you feel your child should do better than students whose first language is English? Please stop phoning and berating Chris.
Dear Person who makes Materials in Vancouver X
Today I received the package for the Intensive Grammar Program and I applaud you for providing materials a whole 3 weeks before I am scheduled to teach them instead of the normal 24 hours or less. As I perused the pages I kept noticing notations to have the students do the exercises in their text. I went in search of the referenced test to discover that it is OUT OF PRINT. Should we need a copy for each student we will have to order them one at a time from used booksellers. I expect what we will receive will be marked up due to the nature of its being a workbook. Luckily I am a former bookseller with advanced book sleuthing skills and was able to discover a hidden cache of books in Baltimore. We have ordered several and hopefully they will arrive before March Break. Because they are out of print they cost us $24.50 instead of the $16.50 cover price. Thanks.
Yep, tomorrow's 8 hours of teaching should be fun, I'm in a great mood.
M
P.S.
Dear everybody
Please stop making Michelle mad. She comes home in a foul mood and scares me.
A
2 comments:
Dont make her angry....
... you wouldnt LIKE her when shes angry.....
I do not envy you your job at all and I feel for Andrew :)
Please know the stupidity lies in all of our respective professions.
Post a Comment