I realized that is has been 6 weeks or more since I updated here. Andrew and I have been really busy with work (what else is new?). I have 15 -20 students applying for University in the U.S. and each student is applying to about 4 universities and each University has a 10 page application. You do the math. It all means a lot of phone calls at weird hours asking weird questions and my trying to drag something unusual and interesting out of kids who have spent their lives either in school or in after school classes. My favorite question on an application so far is "If you could choose any fictional character as your roommate, who would you choose and why?" One student wanted to have Tom Ripley as his roommate because Tom could kill any of the competition...I killed that idea quickly. These kids really know how to shoot themselves in the foot. I am also editing my cousin Joe's Master's thesis for his Mining Engineering degree. Its fascinating. Pages and pages of underwater mining in Papua New Guinea. Really..Next bestseller...I promise.
We bought the ring a couple of weeks ago. The new fashionable order is live together 5 years...Then plan the wedding...Then buy the engagement ring. Andrew can't believe that the most expensive thing either of us own is so small and wanders around the city with me. He tried to convince me that an engagement Alienware computer would be nice too but I informed him that the computer would depreciate too fast.
Andrew's Mom and Sister are coming to Toronto tomorrow to see us and My parents are coming next week to see our apartment, Ed and Jana's apartment and so Mom and I can go dress shopping. Boy am I NOT looking forward to the parade of fluff that appears to be in style these days. I just am not tall enough to carry off a 6 foot wide skirt. I'm sure that in all of Toronto we will be able to find something appropriate. I hope to have a funny story or 2 for you next week about our search.
I just realized the other day that I have been back in Canada for almost 1 year (Nov 20). It doesn't seem that long ago that Brad, Jen, Andrew and I took that last walk through Olympic Park. I still have a little culture shock every now and again. I was in a Chinese Home furnishings store yesterday and the Chinese clerk was getting me something from the store room. My phone rings and its Hee Soo from work telling me that a class that had been cancelled 2 hours before was on coming after all. The clerk reappears to ask me a question and Korean starts spilling out of my mouth as I ask her to wait a minute while I clear with HeeSoo whether the student is coming or not. The clerk was a little baffled at first but later I explained that lived in Korea for 5 years. She nodded understanding completely saying she does the same thing in Chinese whenever she sees an Asian face.
Okay I gotta go and prepare for this weekend's classes. I will try to be back next week with the Perils of Michelle and the hunt for the White Dress.
M.
2 comments:
I was wondering if you two had run off and join the circus. You always take on too much. Fortunately, Kyopos should understand that you can't possibly focus completely on work when you're *getting married* (choir music in the background). I can't wait to hear your dress tales. ;-)
yeah.. dress shopping.. I really wish I could be there to go with you. Its something Id enjoy doing for someone else, but I'll likely find depressing for myself lol. Unfortuneately Zellers is a cruel mistress for the christmas season....
Post a Comment