Last week in my top SAT class, we were discussing the idea of people only caring about appearance over utility. We discussed many examples they could use to write an essay on this topic for the SAT and I thought of one that I knew was going to be controversial.
In that class I have 8 students including our lone white kid (Jason). These are all the smartest of the smart kids, they are disappointed with anything below 90% and are all going to University in the U.S.
I bring up the idea of lawns and why do we have them in North America and what purpose do they serve. After some discussion we all agreed that lawns serve no real purpose other than to look nice and actually require constant maintenance.
Then I turn to Jason and say, "Now I'm going to say something that will evoke a reaction that will amaze you." He perks up because I've done this trick before. I ask the students, "Who here has walked barefoot in the grass?" The response to this question was one of shock, revulsion and horror.
"Ugh, why would you do that?"
"That's dirty!"
"There are animals in that grass!"
There are Rats out there!"
"You can get diseases doing that!"
Now I knew that none of them had ever walked barefoot in the grass but I hadn't expected the vehemence in their reaction. You would have thought I asked "Who has licked the sidewalk?" or "Who likes to walk through pig shit?"
Jason of course was mystified with the response and amazed that I could predict that none of these wealthy students who the majority have lovely homes in Rosedale with luscious lawns had ever stepped outside without shoes on.
There was no convincing any of them that you are more likely to catch a disease off a door handle or a light switch. This reminds me of something that happened this summer.
It was raining on my way to work and my shoes got soaked. the air conditioning was set to a frigid 15 degrees and so my feet were freezing. The classrooms are carpeted so I kicked off my shoes and was teaching (Gasp!) barefoot. One observant student commented that it was "dirty!".
I informed him that the carpet was vacuumed everyday. His reply was "But what if you go to the washroom and someone has peed on the floor and you step in it?"
I reeled and said"Do you often pee on the floor of bathrooms?"
"No, but it could happen and you could get a disease!" he replied. They seem to be fixated on getting diseases via the feet.
I let him know that my shoes were just there beside my desk and if I was leaving the room I had every intention of putting them on. Apparently he believed , heathen that I am, I had walked to work without shoes.
Hope this made you laugh.
M
3 comments:
Hah! Back in your own country and still a crazy foreigner. They may not pee on the floor (often), but I bet most of them have SPIT on it.
BTW congrats!
If only they knew the things you walked though on those feet. I bet most of them had walked barefoot on a beach not giving a second thought to the fact it was a giant litter box for the local wildlife, or went swimming in a lake or ocean, blissfully unaware that fish fornicate in it.
you heathen, you...
That's awesome. Wow, a little thing like walking barefoot in the grass. The little joyous things that we take for granted that other people do not see the beauty in.
Post a Comment