Thursday, December 01, 2011

Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens

I was one of those crazy people waiting for the store to open at 8 am. But I must place a caveat on this. I wasn't there at 7 pm the day before because I HAD to shop. I was there at 7:30 am because I just wanted to see inside.

I turned on Breakfast Television at 6:30, when I got up and they said that 250 people were already lined up to get the free gift, So I knew there was no real rush. I had some tea, watched the news and responded to frantic grade 12 student's emails about application essays because there were deadlines for University of California yesterday.

By the time I got outside the line that started at Church Street had reached the subway entrance at Yonge. At that point I considered just turning around and going back home. But I was up and dressed and going back to the apartment would mean choosing between dishes, laundry or application essay editing, so I decided that waiting in line was more fun that any of those 3. I chatted with my neighbors in line and the time passed quickly. There were baffled passersby who could not understand why we were waiting in line to go grocery shopping. I pulled out my camera to take pictures and it promptly informed me that its batteries weer dying. They were new batteries last month and I had not really used the camera which indicates to me that my 7 year old Canon is dying. Maybe Santa will bring me a new one for Christmas. So I attempted to use my camera on my phone that also decided to not cooperate. I got both machines to take a couple of pictures,but I apologize for the blurriness.


 This is where I started in line. The line snakes around the corner down all the way to Church Street.



 This is behind me about 5 minutes after I got in line.

A little before 8 the line started to move forward.



Getting closer. The store has underground parking.



The Marquee advertises Ryserson whose sports facilities will open in the Spring.



This is our first glimpse inside. Loblaws has installed windows along the street sides. I think we have gotten used to the windowless boxes that house grocery stores, the natural light and connection to the street really make the store inviting.

By 8:10 I was inside. It was bigger than I imagined and nicer than I could dream. I could tell the difference between  the people who live in the neighborhood and those who don't. The people who live and shop outside of downtown were complaining about the crowd. Those of us who are used to the rest of the downtown stores were thrilled by the spaciousness. Yes it was busy, but it was NOT crowded- Try the Metro at College Park at 7 pm on a weekday- It is like Christmas Eve every day of the year!

As you enter on the left hand side there is a large sculpture made from blue arena chairs in the form of a Maple Leaf. (My camera refused to cooperate at this point. )

Then you go past the sushi station where chefs make sushi to order. And then you enter the fresh produce section which I believe is bigger than the entire Sobey's down the street.



Okay, I'm not going to bore you with a tour of the whole store, here are the highlights.


A Loose Leaf Tea counter

An in house Bakery, the kitchen is upstairs


Yes, that is a wall of cheese. The people in front of me are in line to get free bacon on a bun. As you can see from my pictures the only really crowded part of the store.





The Canteen has made to order food that can be eaten there or taken out.


The tables in the canteen are all different with images from Maple Leaf Gardens




The best thing that Loblaws did was connect the store to the building.

All the pillars have signs commemorating important events in the building, like these


 And this spot shows you where center ice was.



The mural behind the checkouts says Maple Leaf Gardens with architectural images from Toronto



So what's the big deal? The big deal is this. Last Sunday we were out of toilet paper and I went to get some at Metro (Shoppers Drug Mart was completely sold out) and my choice was 4 rolls for 3. 39 or 16 rolls of the store brand that I know removes skin for 8.99. We made do with 4 until I could track down a sale. We haven't had any fabric softener for 2 months because the choices are limited to a no-name ($6.99) or a national brand ($10.99) for an amount that cost me $4.99 yesterday.
Instead of 2 linear feet of choice in the laundry aisle alone, now I have this....






 So overall I am thrilled and anyone who wants to complain about Loblaws, or the desecration of a shrine can take their complaints elsewhere.

M.




No comments: