Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I can't help but complain

I promised myself that I wasn't going to complain about something in post after post in this blog...which explains the lack of posting this year. But I just can't stand this any longer and feel the need to vent about the travesty of decorating currently happening in our apartment building. Those of you with sensitivities may want to avoid looking at the photos below.

In the Spring we received notice that the building was going to renovate the hallways. Fair enough, the carpet alone was 80's chic with Burgundy and Christmas green stripes. They started with removing the cream coloured tiles from the walls across from the elevator doors, and  they changed the light fixtures..so far so good.  Then one night I came home and was nearly blinded by a fluorescent orange paint on the bulkhead above the elevators. We told ourselves that surely it was just a primer...a base coast... yes that must be it, that colour couldn't possibly be staying. Then the painters arrived. The original tiles surrounding the elevators were evidently staying and the wall colours seem to be coming from those tiles. But somebody evidently watches too much Home Day on Cityline and heard the lesson of taking your colour scheme from a pattern. This works in theory in a room filled with furniture, but in a  hallway, I guess they had not heard that one colour is plenty for walls.

Each of the walls is a different colour and then the doors are another colour. This could also work if the colours were the same family, but no these colours are not the same in any sense of the word hue. We have a dove grey brown, a light chocolate brown, a khaki brown and an olive green brown.  The new tiles across from the elevator doors are a inch mosaic tile with many of the colours, but then the base are terra cotta subway tiles. The mixture is terrible. They haven't finished and I hope that somebody comes to his/her senses and makes some changes before they replace the carpeting, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Wo Kai Li said...

I feel your pain. I thought your pics were a work in progress, as they went from old to new. I would hate to look at that everyday. I hope someone realizes this was a bad idea.