HeeSoo is the office manager at my school. His English is not the best and he tends to rely on his memory to arrange schedules too much but we have a working understanding. I don't bust his chops too much and he lets me do what I want in my classes. Well 2 weeks ago HeeSoo went to Korea to take his girlfriend to meet the parents and it is indefinite when he will be returning. In his place I have a new secretary (whose name I don't know because when I introduced myself to her she just said "good to meet you" and ran away) and 2 new managers who will be looking after the new school when it opens in November. I also don't know their names because for some reason Chris (the boss) neglects to introduce anyone to the teachers, myself included. For 2 years I struggled with this and now I've just relaxed into it. If they don't want me to know their names I will just make up names for them in my head and carry on with my life. Normally at this point I would have HeeSoo to tell me who is who but he has abandoned me.
So now I have secretary14 and drones 1 and 2 buzzing about the office because none of them know what they are doing. There has been a lot of questions about which Daniel Kim (we have 4) is in which class, and who is Frank Kim (he used to be John Kim but I made him change his name...just kidding) because they can't find his file. Chris also bought a new photocopier last week. We needed a new one so that is fine but the photocopier is linked to the computers so we can print directly to it. In the computer room we have 7 computers which the students use during breaks and teachers use to do work. Most teachers make tests at home and bring their work in on a data key and print at work. But we got sick of the virus count on the computers due to the students downloading every piece of crap they can. So we decided that certain computers were teacher computers , they have a teacher's password and students could only use them when teachers didn't need them and no downloading of any sort was to take place. This system has worked well for over a year. When the technician arrived to set up the new photocopier, drone 1 and 2 don't know any of the computer passwords so essentially now the student computers can print but the teacher computers can't. This really doesn't work so we have to retrain the students as to which computers are theirs and which are ours.
Yesterday I'm at work early because of the hammering happening on my balcony (another story) and I go looking for the lesson that I would teach in 3 hours and find none there. I get a lot of blank stares followed by some scrambling after I announce my displeasure. I went off to do some work only to discover out of habit that I am using the wrong computer to print off the test. So I move my data key and print the test. Scurrying feet come up behind me with the SAT lesson and what I just printed out, which I have to take back to the copier to make copies for the students. They are just trying to be helpful but they forget I've been here for almost 3 years, I know where the stuff is and how it works so if they just let me be I can be more efficient.
I hope Heesoo's future in-laws approve so that he can come back soon (I think Chris does too).
No comments:
Post a Comment