It has taken a week for me to blog about Robyn and Al's wedding, not because I have nothing to say but because I think there were too many things and I had to organize my thoughts.
So I went to Hamilton on Thursday to attend the rehearsal and help Robyn with whatever she needed. Robyn and Tracy picked me up at the bus station and we went to the reception hall which had been decorated in white with chocolate brown accents. Mom and Dad Barton, Uncle Tony and Aunt Ivy arrived shortly and we unloaded the bonboniere from their van and then it was off to the mall to find some last minute essentials and have some gelato. We arrived at the church early to hang up the pew bows and have the rehearsal. The priest was very specific in everything we had to do which was great because it took the worry out of the whole situation. Robyn's florist even drove from Oakville to bring her a practice bouquet for her practice walk down the aisle. After the rehearsal we went to the Buonomo's home for dinner. There was a tremendous buffet and we all ate until stuffed. Robyn and I went back to apartment at 12:30 but we were too excited to sleep so we talked and half-watched TV for a while before trying to sleep.
Eventually we went to bed and slept but only for a couple of hours.
By 6:30 we were both awake and fidgety so we decided to get dressed and go have breakfast. We went to a delightful place called Cora's which is apparently a chain. If you like fruit with breakfast this is the place for you. I had crepes with cream cheese and raspberries. There must have been more than a pint of raspberries in and on my crepes. There were scrumptious and impossible to finish.Then we went and checked into the hotel. Robyn had the brilliant idea to book a suite at the hotel and then the bridesmaids could have their hair and makeup done there without having to clean up afterwards. Next we went and picked up Courtney for our appointments at a spa for manicures and pedicures. The spa is called Robyn's nest and Robyn (the aesthetician) was a delight. She was so conscientious and caring. She started us off with a glass of wine and we had a great afternoon gabbing and getting pampered. 4 fun filled hours later we went back to the hotel. I went to find my Mom and Dad who were staying there while Robyn went and dropped her car off at her apartment. We then went out for dinner and by the time we got back tot he hotel Andrew had arrived. I had gotten us the room across the hall from the bridal suite, so at least I would be sleeping that night. We all tried to go to bed at 10:30 but I hear the bridal suite was a little less restful than my room.
We were up before 6 am and the Make-up and Hair were stared by 7 am. It was very convenient with everyone in one place and there was lots of space to sit and chat while waiting your turn. Robyn (the make-up artist) was superb and kept us talking so no one got nervous. The hairdresser was great with all of our different hair types and Robyn's hair was a masterpiece. We were all dressed made pretty by 10:30 and then we started the first round of photos. There was a little rain that morning but it managed to abate in time to do a few photos in the courtyard of the hotel. We did have to wait for another Bride and her party to finish though.
We were greeted at the door of the hotel by a Hummer Limousine. We were having so much fun getting tot he church I think we all wished the ride were longer. 12:00 came and went with people still arriving at the church but within 10 minutes the priest had us all organized and we started down the aisle. Robyn looked stunningly beautiful and Al looked overjoyed. The ceremony started and we took our seats. I was struggling not to cry when I felt something wet and hot roll down my face ...nope not a tear...a nosebleed. Fortunately we had tissues and I was able to get it under control before we had to stand up again. The ceremony proceeded perfectly and was a nice length, long enough to really be present but not too long so that people get restless. I often feel that Andrew's and My ceremony was a little on the short side. After the ceremony we had more pictures at the church. Then it was back into the limo for the bridal Party where we popped a couple bottles of champagne and drank up. We went to McMaster University to have the bridal Party Photos done. The sun came out and the setting was beautiful with ivy covered stone buildings. The photographer Colin was a dream. He had a relaxed manner but an artistic eye and I think their photos will be gorgeous. The videographer was not as refined. He seemed to think skits about bridesmaids being chased by groomsmen was the height of comedy. But we all played along until about 3 when we informed him that we had not eaten yet and the bridesmaids were about become less compliant if were didn't soon get a sandwich and water from the limo. We finished up with photos a little after 4 and then went to the reception hall. The cake had arrived and looked perfect. We had a little sit down and make-up check. The gusts started arriving at 5:30 and we smoothly ran the reception line that included a shot of Sambuca to get the party started. Before we sat down to dinner the bridal party was introduced each couple to theme music. Andrew says that he would rethink our wedding if he knew that he could be introduced like a prizefighter. Then dinner began. We had several delicious courses including antipasto, manicotti, roast beef, Chicken Cordon Bleu and Gelato. Everything was great except the temperature. Not the food the room. The hall was over air-conditioned and there was vent right above the bridesmaids and we were all freezing all through dinner. Dancing followed and the cake was cut at 10:30 with a buffet...like anyone could eat another bite. We had a great time.
Andrew and I drove back to Toronto that night and were home by 12:30. I was so exhausted I just fell into bed when we got home. I felt like I had been hit by a truck the next day but it was all worth it.
3 comments:
Sounds like a great wedding!
Yep, cora's is a chain. Personally, I find it on the expensive side (but that could be because I have found the Mississauga and Brampton franchises to have poor service).
That sounds like a beautiful wedding and reception, but THREE Robyns? Really? And where are the pictures of you and Andrew (and, most importantly, your bridesmaid's dress?) ;-)
The Robyn who did the manicures and the make-up artist are the same woman so really there were only 2 Robyns but that was enough for some confusion.
I will see if anyone has pictures of us but I was busy most of the day and didn't have time to take pictures.
Post a Comment