Where to begin....Well the big, important news is that Andrew starts a new job tomorrow. He has been hired as the head administrator of a private high school. The school is 2 blocks away from mine and his hours will be more in sync with mine so that is all good. He signed the contract last week but I think after 11 months of unemployment we are both in shock and disbelief that something has finally happened and so we haven't really been telling people. I guess it should all sink in this week when he starts going to work and there is no dinner waiting for me when I get home from my job. Hmmm...maybe a househusband isn't such a bad thing.
Summer Camp started yesterday for me but we have today off which of course means we are working this Saturday to make up for today's holiday. The usual amount of chaos and last minute shuffling has occurred with the added wrinkle that the latest secretary has quit. I say latest because in the last 1 1/2 years we have been through 8 secretaries...yep 8 and that's with the bosses deciding last summer that they weren't even going to bother training someone for the summer so we had nobody for 3 months last summer. They average anywhere from 1 day to 3 months with a month being the usual turn around time between new secretaries. The most recent lasted 8 weeks and I never did get her name. Not because I don't speak directly to the hired help, but because she had a machine gun style; she spoke faster than anyone I have ever heard before and her volume was always at a shout. She shouted hello, good morning, nice to meet you, why didn't you do your homework all with the same aggressive rat-a-tat-tat. I honestly tried to get her name several times but she always wanted to inform me about something that I was doing wrong. "Michelle, you have to give them a piece of your mind if they don't do homework!" "Michelle, You did not give enough homework today!" "Michelle, Chris needs to ask a question!" It wasn't that she was nervous about her English either because her speaking style was the same in Korean. Students would stumble into the classroom shell shocked after being barraged by her questions and they all said that she didn't really listen to answers in Korean either just rattled off another question. Anyway yesterday HeeSoo was sitting at the front desk and I asked, "Did we lose another secretary?" He nodded . Then I asked the obvious question, "Do you guys beat them when I'm not around?" He just laughed and said, "No."
So theoretically we have the day off, but I am currently avoiding doing some prep work for classes by writing this blog. We hope to meet up with Ed and Jana today and spend some time hanging out with them, preferably on a patio somewhere with someone bringing drinks at regular intervals. I will try to keep everyone apprised of the wacky hijinks Andrew will undoubtedly encounter in his new job.
Have a good day off.
M
2 comments:
yay whoot!
I'm so happy for Andrew! Keep us posted on the new job.
Post a Comment