Sunday, May 11, 2008

April flew by

April is always busy with birthdays. My Mom, Dad and Brother's birthdays are all in 1 week and now Andrew's mother's birthday is also within that week. So April 16, 19, 22 and 23 we have birthday duties.

Andrew is still on the job hunt. He has had some good interviews but no great offers yet.

My job is expanding as the company is opening a new school in Richmond hill in September. I will be the head teacher for both schools and will be responsible for training new teachers. This includes a small salary in addition to my teaching pay. So that is good.

We've cleaned off the balcony and I planted some climbing vines and flowers which should make our balcony beautiful this summer. There are plenty of green shoots peeking out of the pots as of this morning. As long as I can keep the squirrels out of them we are okay. Speaking of squirrels, I stopped feeding them after they started to eat my plants and the tatami mats I had on the balcony but when we cleaned up the balcony this spring we found walnut shells all over the place. Andrew is allergic to walnuts so I would never buy them which means that there is another crazy person (like me) who thought it would be fun to feed the little beggars.

This week Rogers was rewiring the entire building. So they had to access everyone's balconies for at least 1 day. The day we had ours done 2 groups showed up. First a guy with a security guard showed up and cut the cable, then about 30 minutes later 3 cable guys and a security guard showed up and they reconnected everything to the new system. Now I'm not sure why it takes 3 of them to reconnect the cable but what do I know? Then they tromp back through the apartment and say to me "Thanks, we're all done here". Which I interpret as your cable has been reconnected resume your life of surfing the net and watching talk television. I flip on the computer and no internet...so I unplug the modem, router, TV cable box and let everything reset.
I go have a shower and come back, still no TV signal and no internet. So I says to my self "Self, either they haven't connected into the new panel yet or they messed up and when you come home tonight there still won't be any TV or Internet. " So I got ready for work (Andrew was out at an interview) and I start working my way up the building listening for the sound of drilling until I find one of the guys, whom I politely ask, " I'm on the 14th floor, should I have TV right now or will it be on later." The cable guy looks blankly at me and says"I don't know I'll have to check with the boss" Then the boss comes out and informs me that yes indeed he hasn't hooked into the new panel yet and everything should be on after dinner time. So I step into the elevator and discover yet another cable guy (this one actually had a Rogers uniform) Who says to me, "Is there work going on in the building? I'm here on a call from apt 414 who doesn't have any signal?" I inform him that yes, HIS company is rewiring the building and at present half of the building doesn't have cable and perhaps that should come up on a computer if you get a trouble call from this building for the rest of this week. No wonder Rogers phones me every month to see if I want a home phone...they obviously don't communicate with one another. With 3 guys you would think one of them on his way out the door could have said that the system will be off until after dinner. Anyway, When I came home everyting was back to normal. We endured a few more days of drilling but I think its over now.

No comments: